Friday, January 23, 2009

Training, Day #7

Today was another ugly Nebraska winter day, albeit fairly typical. Bitterly cold winds, and an afternoon dose of snow amounting to a couple of inches. And I was due for a three-mile run as part of my training. As I cuddled on the couch with my four-year-old daughter and enjoyed the warmth and protection of the cozy house, I couldn't help but wonder if I would be better off waiting until tomorrow to run. Not that I had any proof that tomorrow's weather would be at all better, but at least there was no snow in the forecast. The notion of waiting was becoming more and more inviting.

But, alas! My beautiful, wonderful wife walked through the door at approximately 3:30, and promptly told me that she had seen three different people out running this afternoon, and figured they must be training for a marathon to be dedicated enough to run in this weather.

Sigh.

That did it. I had no choice but to run today. So, I strapped on the new running shoes and all the cold-weather gear, and out the door I went. Make no mistake, it was a tough run. I have actually found the last few three-mile runs to be getting much easier, but as you can probably imagine, today's was difficult. High-stepping through snow-drifts added a much different element, but I didn't quit. Mother Nature didn't defeat me today. Had the run been much longer, I can't say I would have made it without walking, but it wasn't longer, and I did make it. Sunday is the long run of the week, and it's a six-mile jaunt. Snow is in the forecast for Sunday, so I'm going to get an early start and hope things go well. More on how it goes next week.

No comments: