Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Training, Day #1, Take Two

Nope, I didn't make a mistake in the title. Today actually was the first day of the sixteen-week training regimen leading up to the marathon as there has been just a slight change in plans. Originally, I was going to make Sundays the first day of the new training week, thus, last Sunday would have been the first day. In doing so, the longest runs of the week would have fallen on Fridays. That would have been all good for at least awhile, until those long runs started creeping over six, seven, eight, and all the way up to eighteen miles. Since Mandi goes to work on Friday mornings, and doesn't come home until just before I leave for work, long runs on Friday would have meant getting out of my warm, cozy bed at the crack of dawn in order to get the run in before the day begins. Now, mind you, I don't mind running in the early morning, I just don't think I would have had the time to make it happen.

In addition, since the marathon is on a Sunday, making that day the long run of the sixteenth week of training, it only seems logical. Plus, neither Mandi or I work on Sundays, so I have more time to run. Even more logical. You see, logic tends to escape me at first, and sometimes for quite awhile. Had I just turned the whole training schedule creation over to my wife in the first place, I wouldn't be writing this because she would have nailed it on the first try. Someday, I will learn. Someday.

So, my official start to training today was a good, three-mile run. Although it's a mere ten degrees out with a windchill of about zero (the weather channel says it feel like three below, and I believe it!), I still worked up a good sweat and feel great! Tomorrow, I will run four miles, then take a day off. Friday will be another three mile run, and finally the long run of the week on Sunday, which will be five miles. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: