Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Training, Day #2: Windwhipped

As I type this, I am unable to feel my nose, lips, and most of the top layers of skin on the front of my body. Frankly, I'm not even sure if my nipples are still intact 'cause I can't feel them, either. Today's run was difficult, and yes, bitterly cold. It was a four-mile jaunt today, and the first half went very well. I felt great, had a ton of energy, and as I approached the half-way mark, I felt as though I could fairly easily complete the run.

And then I turned around.

As I began the second-half of the trek, I realized why the first-half was easier. I had the 20-30 mph wind at my back! Now, I was forced to take Mother Nature head on for two miles while she struggled to get her temperature to ten degrees. It was a tough one today, folks. I ended up having to walk around six or seven blocks, but what motivated me to get moving again was the fact that my sweat-soaked clothes were beginning to freeze to my skin, and then I tried to spit and sort of slobbered all over myself because my lips were frozen. Not good.

But, I'm darn sure not giving up that easy. I'll keep plugging away, and I may even be more motivated than ever. I did learn that I need to invest in some decent running clothes that will help keep the moisture away from my skin. I hear Under Armour is supposed to be some pretty good stuff, although kind of expensive. Anyone else have suggestions?

I'll be back at it on Friday with day #3. Until then, anyone have any nipple cream?????

No comments: