Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wow - so here it is Wednesday already and I haven't posted a thing about the Husker's weekend. In fact, I couldn't even squeeze in time to post a prediction before last Saturday's game. Good grief. If I would have predicted, however, I would have wrote that the Huskers would shore up there communication issues and other defensive issues en route to a 56-17 thrashing of San Jose State. I would have been wrong. Gulp.

What actually took place was lots and lots of pure sloppiness. The S'kers walked away from the mess on Saturday with a 35-12 win, but I would say the game was closer than the score indicates. In fact, the score was still 14-12 with twelve minutes left in the game. And seven of those points came from a defensive touchdown. The offense struggled mightily to find any sort of rhythm, and finally got going after Niles Paul returned a punt 85 yards for a touchdown. It was the spark the Huskers needed to finally put the game away, but it was never-the-less far too close for any sort of comfort in Big Red Country.

For some reason, though, I'm still not horribly worried. Maybe it's because I'm not allowing myself to have too many expectations for this season, even though I think head coach Bo Pelini might just be the second coming of Christ. He's still a first-year head coach, as are most of the Nebraska coaches. I think Pelini and company will continue to work hard to tune the Big Red Machine, and we will continue to see improvement from week to week. Quarterback Joe Ganz is a fantastic football player, and maybe even a better leader, and he'll have his team back on track soon. I look for some real signs of improvement this week, though again, there will still be mistakes. New Mexico State comes calling on Saturday, and since I have the next few days off while my wife travels to her brother's wedding, I will be sure to make time to post my prediction before game time. Until then....and always....

GO BIG RED!!

No comments: