Tuesday, March 20, 2007

More on Workouts

Since my last few words regarding exercise and taking time to include 30 minutes per day of aerobic activity, I've had a few questions about what I do for a routine, as well as some requests for ideas. Before I get to those answers, I just want to reiterate that I am only passing along these ideas because I am excited about the plan and because it has been such a personal accomplishment for me. If there are others who are reading this and are facing, or have faced, similar needs to shed some pounds, then I want to be of any assistance I can by revealing some of the methods that have worked for me. Whether one is trying to lose weight, eat healthier, become more fit, or just tone up and add some muscle, it can be difficult because it is a change from the norm. If I can assist others in their endeavors, then I can feel all the better about what I am doing.

Also, I am well aware that the plan I am following and using is by no means the only way to change to a healthier lifestyle. There are many, many other methods and plans that work wonders. I am only passing on some of the basics of my plan because I have had success with them. And finally, it dawned on me a few days ago that the very book/plan I am using is titled You On A Diet, The Owner's Manual for Waist Management. Doh! I've been steering clear of using the word diet, and you can read why here. Well, what can I say? Regardless of the title, it's still a great book, full of sound and useful advice.

Okay, my routine....Mandi and I use a video called Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone. We bought the 3-DVD set, which includes a 1, 2, and 3-mile walk. You can bank on each mile taking about 15 minutes, and since Mandi and I have worked our way up to the 3-mile jaunt, our aerobics workout is about 45 minutes each day. There is also some upper-body exercises included in the workout, with the use of weight balls. You can check it out on the website, but I just went to Wal-Mart and bought some cheapy 5-pound dumbbells, which work just fine. During the 3-mile workout, she instructs you to grab the weights at about the 1.5-mile mark, and uses them for about a mile. In addition to all of this, I go through a 20-minute muscle-building workout included in You On A Diet, The Owner's Manual for Waist Management, by Dr.'s Oz and Roizen, and I do that every other day. So, on the days I do the muscle-building workout, I follow the walking video exactly. On the days I don't do the muscle workout, I use the weights all the way through the video. Clear as mud? I've also been riding my bike to work, which is about 7 miles round-trip.

Now, that is much more than is really needed, and I only do that much because I have worked up to it and am physically able to do it. I also love biking and being outside, and now that it's a bit warmer, it's a prime opportunity to enjoy a little sunshine. Oh, and my truck broke down recently and I really didn't have any other way of getting to work. There is that little factor. That said, the truck is running again but I'm continuing on two wheels because I'm frickin' tired of paying ridiculous gas prices. 'Nuff said.

No comments: