Sunday, March 4, 2007

35 Years Young

Saturday marked another year that I was blessed to celebrate my existence, and after I laid my head on my pillow at the end of the day, I began to think about how much my birthday celebrations have evolved. It was only a few years ago that I remember barely being able to walk out of the bar after turning 30. Just five years later, such a celebration is the furthest thing from my mind and I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I had only planned on a couple of special activities with Mandi and the kids, which was more than enough of a celebration for me. We were going to have pizza for lunch, then the fam was going to bring ice cream down to work and hang out for awhile. The events that actually took place that day went far beyond my expectations, and made for one of the most memorable birthdays yet.

First, Mandi allowed me to sleep in until 8:00 (yes, that is sleeping in when you have kiddos!), which was a nice surprise. I awoke and started a pot of coffee brewing, and began whipping up the usual Saturday-morning pancakes for breakfast, while Mandi left for her Weight Watchers meeting. As the kids and I enjoyed our homemade pancakes, I began to realize what a beautiful, sun-filled, blue-sky day it was becoming. Remembering Kaedyn's many requests to go sledding this winter, I decided to polish off the old Radio Flyer and get out Kaedyn's plastic saucer sled, and we were going to hit the slopes! Once Mandi got home, we dressed Kaedyn and Madilyn in multiple layers of clothes (I'm was reminded of the scene in "A Christmas Story" when the little boy was unable to put his arms down because he wore so many layers of clothes) and loaded into the ol' v-6-drawn sleigh with 2 sliding doors on either side and were off to enjoy the greatest of winter activities. I've not had that much fun in quite some time! We tumbled, we laughed, we raced, we laughed, we climbed the hill to do it all again, and then we laughed some more. I felt like a kid again, regardless of the fact I was turning another year older.

During this time, I received two phone calls, one from my mother-in-law and one from a dear friend, wishing me a happy birthday. It was wonderful to be remembered, and a joy to talk to both of them. The kids and I returned home for some hot cocoa, then we ate our pizza. I received a new pair of Husker wind pants, and a new Husker t-shirt from Mandi and the kids, and then we played some more. It finally came time for me to go to work, but the fun wasn't over...one of my coworkers bought me Chinese for supper, and all of them chipped in for cake and ice cream. Both of my brothers called while I was working, and left birthday greetings on my voicemail. Then Mandi and the kids came down after their supper with Cold Stone ice cream, and hung out for quite awhile. In addition, Mandi brought a card and CD from the same friend who had called earlier in the day, as he had stopped by the house to drop it off while I was at work. That was completely unexpected, and a wonderful addition to an already fantastic day!

It was a memorable birthday, thanks to the genuine love of my family and friends, and the opportunity to act and feel 35 years young!

No comments: