Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Salvaging Clarity From Confusion

We here in L-Town are fortunate to have one of the best columnists I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Dr. Leon Satterfield is a retired English professor, who, as he says at the end of each column, "writes to salvage clarity from his confusion." Whether I agree or disagree with him, he is a pleasure to read, and I only wish he appeared more than once a week. The following is now my attempt at salvaging some clarity from my confusion.

A few weeks ago, Satterfield discussed the proposed plans to build George Dub's Presidential Library on the campus of Southern Methodist University. This has caused quite a stir amongst several SMU faculty members, who feel Dub's presidential reign has fallen well short of both Methodist values and the kind of values represented by an academic institution. In response, the faculty has begun circulating a petition and thus far, have succeeded in recruiting many Methodist powers-that-be, including bishops, clergy, and even church members. You can have a look-see for yourself at the following address: http://www.protectsmu.org/

Satterfield makes no bones about his dislike for G-Dub and his policies, and based on his column, he seems to be applauding the efforts of the SMU faculty. While I understand the argument of the faculty and the Methodist folks who have thus far signed the petition, I'm not so sure I agree with it. I'm not a big George W. Bush fan, either, but I have respect for him and his position. I have to believe, because I don't think I have any other choice, that his decision to declare war came from a basic instinct to protect the country he was charged with protecting. I also believe G-Dub made his decision based on available evidence at the time, and based on his conservative Christian beliefs. Mr. Bush truly felt he was making the best possible decision based on the circumstances at hand.

It seems to me that the anti-Bush Library people ought to adopt a more accepting attitude. Heck, even the Methodist slogan states, "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors." The SMU faculty and the Methodist officials who've climbed on board the petition seem to have closed their hearts, minds, and doors. Maybe Bush's policies and his presidency aren't quite in line with the Methodist teaching, per se, but I have to think that the best way to represent what Christianity encompasses is to welcome Bush with open arms, give him a hug, pat him on the back, and say, "Hey, you did the best you could based on the information you had, and thanks for taking the helm, brother."

Thoughts? (And, if you were wondering, I'm not sure I've salvaged a damn thing. I believe I actually write just to spill my thoughts, and hope that enough people feel compelled to comment such that I can then begin to salvage some clarity from my confusion. Clear?)

No comments: