Friday, January 11, 2008

Wind of Change

The wind of change blows straight
Into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring
The freedom bell for peace of mind
Let your balalaika sing
What my guitar wants to say


Aaaaaaa....classic Scorpions. I can't help but hum this tune from time-to-time these days, as the year is just fifteen days old and the wind of change is blowing quite fiercely. It's all good change, at least to this point, I think. Oh, and since I know you're wondering just what a balalaika is, you can see for yourself here.

The first big change of the year was at work. After a lengthy application process, I have received a promotion and am now an Emergency Services Dispatcher III (as opposed to an ESD I or II), or commonly known as a supervisor. To be honest, when the position originally came open, I hadn't even considered applying as I didn't feel I had been employed at the center nearly long enough. Four years of time didn't seem like much compared to some of my coworkers who had eclipsed the decade mark and beyond. But when several of those very coworkers strongly encouraged me to apply, how could I say no? Don't get me wrong - I certainly did not make a decision based solely on their suggestions, but their support was definitely a factor. While I gave the process my full attention and best efforts, I still did not think I stood much of a chance considering I was the "newest" of the applicants. You can imagine my shock, surprise, and excitement when I was offered the position. I am humbled, and ready to meet head-on the new challenges which lay ahead.

The next big change this year is my decision to become a Mona Vie distributor. I have but once tried my hand at a multi-level marketing business, and failed miserably. Since that experience, I have always told myself I would never again get involved in such an operation, unless I was very passionate about the product, the business, and the opportunity. Mona Vie has fulfilled that passion, and I am excited about where this has the potential to lead. I am just getting started, and am having the time of my life! The product itself is a nutritional beverage, combining nineteen of nature's super-fruits in terms of essential vitamins and nutrients. It's signature fruit is the acai berry found in the Amazon, and the entire mix is completely natural - no additives. I've never seen my family experience such a complete feeling of overall health and wellness. The company makes no "miracle" claims, but instead simply allows the evidence speak for itself. I will soon have a website dedicated to my new adventure, and will post that in the near future.

Finally, I wrote awhile back about the steps we were taking toward my adoption of Kaedyn. The process has been quite slow, as I expected, and there hasn't been much to update on. Frankly, there still isn't. I had to have a complete background check done, and the results of the check had to be forwarded to our attorney before his office could move any further. That process took nearly three weeks, and we are now at the point of serving papers to Kaedyn's biological father. Trouble is, we are fairly certain he is living in Lincoln, but have no clue as to a specific address. Thus, our attorney opted to send a certified letter to his last known address. Assuming this attempted contact is unsuccessful, we then post a public notice in the local paper which has to run for three weeks. Whether he responds to this or not, and what happens as a result, is nothing but speculation at this point. Therefore, I will avoid said speculation until we have further developments.

I have been waiting patiently for this opportunity for nearly eight years, and while beginning this process has stirred some excitement, I am still willing and able to continue waiting patiently. Even if things do not turn out as we hope, the connection Kaedyn and I have as father and son will never be gone. What is really important is not what a piece of paper or official document states. My son is everything in the world to me, and nothing will ever take that away. Ever.

Yes, the wind of change is blowing fiercely in these parts, and we are running out to meet it! With the year just a couple of weeks old, I would love to hear about some of your changes thus far, or soon coming, or planned for the distant future. Feel free to comment...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story (about Kaedyn) brings tears to my eyes... Not the actual event taking place (it's such a joyous one), but the fact that Kaedyn and Mandi were so blessed to have found you at the moment in their lives that they did. I remember when Kaedyn was in diapers, and we were at Kris' house-warming party, Mandi left quick with the girls (probably for an alcohol run!!), and you were running after Kaedyn trying to change a dirty diaper! I remember that to this day. You were always so wonderful and are the best thing for him. I talked to Mandi and knew about the public notice's being published, and will continue to pray for the best outcome to finalize what has been Kaedyn's father all along!