Monday, September 3, 2007

Huskers 52, Wolfpack 10

My prediction wasn't too far off in terms of the final score in Nebraska's season-opener on Saturday. I was hoping the Big Red would get off to a faster start, but I'll chalk it up to opening-day jitters, and assume they will get better at establishing themselves early on. I was thrilled about the play of the defense, who surrendered only three points (Nevada's lone touchdown came on a Keller-thrown interception returned for a score). The Blackshirts showed they were out to prove their critics wrong, and I think they did a fantastic job.

Marlon Lucky, NU's starting running back, was certainly the darling of the media after his 233-yard rushing performance, and 4 total touchdowns. But I'm just not sold on the guy. I think the only reason he had such a great game is because the offensive line was blowing holes bigger than the Grand Canyon for him. Even I could have had a decent offensive performance behind those big linemen. Okay, maybe not. At any rate, I think Lucky is way too easily tackled and hasn't the heart to really take his game to the next level. I guess it remains to be seen as the season progresses. At any rate, a good, confidence-building performance for the 'Skers, and I'm looking forward to a bigger test on Saturday at Wake Forest.

Meanwhile, the Lady Huskers battled #3 Penn State at the Qwest Center in Omaha on Sunday. Actually, I shouldn't call it a battle because the Nittany Lions did nothing to provide any sort of competition for the Huskers. Nebraska beat Penn State three games to none, then returned home to the coliseum today where they ousted Cal-Poly by the same count. Good grief, are these chicks good or what? They embarrassed, and I do mean embarrassed, the third ranked team in the nation. Wow, this is going to be a fun ride!

Until next time, and as always, Go Big Red!

No comments: