Saturday, September 15, 2007

Game #3

The day hath arrived. The Trojans of the University of Southern California ride their big white horse into Husker Nation today, and bring with them all of the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. Word on the streets of Lincoln has it that the likes of Will Ferrell, Keanu Reeves, and even Snoop Dogg will be inside Memorial Stadium to witness the big event today. Yes, Tinseltown is here as the number one team in college football stops in to battle the Huskers.

I have toiled, processed, examined, analyzed, and racked my brain for an entire week as to just how this thing is going to go today. Each and every time I think about it, I find myself continuing to come back to one question: how in the world are the Nebraska Cornhuskers going to compete against such a superior USC football team? On paper, we don't stand a fighting chance. On paper, we are going to get creamed. On paper, this has the potential of being very ugly. On paper, we don't even belong on the same field as USC. The Trojans have put themselves in the same position as the Huskers during their mid-90's dynasty: there is #1, and then there is everybody else. USC has seperated themselves as such an elite team, that to call them #1 in the nation almost takes away from their superior talent level.

But all of that is on paper, and the Huskers have a prime opportunity to accomplish what nobody in the nation expects. All of the pieces are in place: the electric and loud home crowd, the national spotlight, and the talent. Yes, I said talent. Make no mistake - Nebraska has the talent to upset USC, but they will need much more than strictly talent tonight. Tonight's game is about heart. It's about fortitude. It's about who wants it more. It's about that killer instinct that has been missing for many years from Nebraska Football. The 2007 Huskers have the chance to take the program to the next level in its quest to return to the nation's elite, but they have got to find that killer instinct. Now.

It's time for these Huskers to take some big-time chances, open up Callahan's West Coast offense, and prove to the Trojans, and the nation, they are not afraid. Call me crazy. Call me a stupid Husker fanatic. Call me a blind Big Red fan. Call me whatever you want, but I think the Huskers get it done tonight. Why? Because I gotta believe. I gotta believe that this USC football team is really just human. Talented humans, fast humans, smart humans, but humans. They put their pants on in the morning just like I do, and they can be smacked around a bit on the gridiron. The Huskers, and the 80,000+ at the old stadium will prove it.

The chess match between the offensive-minded Callahan and the defensive-minded Carroll will be a fun one to witness, and I think Callahan gets the upper hand in this one. The Huskers shut down USC's offensive attack, and find just enough chinks in the mighty armor of the Trojan defense to win it, thanks to strong performances by running back Marlon Lucky and wide receiver Maurice Purify. Final score: Huskers 20, Trojans 17.

I gotta believe.

GO BIG RED!!!!

No comments: