Saturday, September 22, 2007

Huskers 41, Cardinals 40

Before I get into my discussion about today's football game, allow me to apologize to those of you who have been used to checking in on my normal Friday-night prediction. Mandi is out-of-town until Sunday, and I've had my hands full managing the kids' schedules and keeping the house in order. By the time we got home from a trip to Grammy's last night, and everyone tucked into bed, Daddy was ready to collapse! Had I the energy to post a prediction, I would have figured the Blackshirt defense to rebound from last week's issues and help the Huskers to a thrashing of Ball State. Huskers 52, Cardinals 13. Which brings us to today.

Kaedyn and I were blessed to have the opportunity to attend todays' game thanks to my sister-in-law and her soon-to-be-hubby, who scored a few tickets through his place of work. It was Kaedyn's second time inside the walls of the old stadium for a game, and he had the time of his life! I was a proud Dad to have my son with me, and have the opportunity to share with him some of the fundamentals of football, as well as some of the traditions and rituals of Nebraska football. It was a great time, and I'm looking forward to the next opportunity, whenever that might come.

If you would have told me before game time this morning that the Ball State Cardinals would come into Husker Nation and hang over 600 yards of offense on the Blackshirt defense, I would have laughed in your face. If you would have told me that the Cardinals would put 40 points against the Huskers, I would have laughed even harder. If you would have told me that the Cardinals would still be in the game at halftime, I would have laughed yet again. If you would have told me that it would take a last-second missed field goal at the end of the game to secure a Husker victory, I would have personally signed your official document permanently banning you from ever stepping foot inside Husker nation again for blasphemy.

Let me tell you, there was nothing funny about what happened today. I had every feeling in the world that today's game would resemble a fired-up defensive unit after getting stomped last week. Surely, this group had something to prove, and who better to take their frustrations out on than a mediocre-at-best Ball State football team? Hmph. It was all Nebraska could do to avoid the upset, and truth be told, it should have been an upset. Three separate dropped balls for would-be touchdowns by Cardinal receivers helped Nebraska to a win. And that's exactly what today's game was; a win. Not a good win, not a hard-fought win, but just a win. What it needed to be was a blowout win. A win to prove that last week's defensive effort was just nerves and/or a poor game plan, and that Husker Nation has reason to believe Nebraska will do well as it begins conference play next Saturday. A win to prove the Huskers have taken a step forward from last year, and will seriously contend for the Big XII title.

The Huskers are in real trouble. The offense has done its part and looks good, but the defense is a wreck right now. We can't just outscore everybody, so if the Blackshirts can't get things turned around, we are in for a very long season. Maybe the Huskers haven't made the progress I had thought during the off-season. What baffles me the most out of all of this is that the defense has the talent. Granted, the line is fairly new and inexperienced, but the linebackers are all big-time talent, as well as the safeties. At any rate, Iowa State comes to Lincoln next week, and all I will say for now is this: it's gonna be interesting.

On a lighter note - the Lady Huskers continued their dominance by sweeping the Aggies of Texas A&M this evening at the coliseum. At least some of the Huskers have their stuff together!

GO BIG RED!!

No comments: