Monday, July 9, 2007

Vacation: Day Seven

Friday was a bittersweet day. As I crawled out of bed and looked at myself in the mirror, it was hard to believe today was the final day of freedom from work. Yes, it was the final day of my vacation, but I had every intention of making the most of it.

Believe it or not, one of my favorite activities is working in the yard. I love tending to the garden, mowing, watering, and all of the care taking involved in maintaining a nice yard. Not only is it enjoyable to see the fruits of my labor as the garden produces veggies, the flowers bloom, and the grass is trimmed, but it also gives me time to sink into my own world and ponder life. It's almost a time of mediation, really. I'm sure I picked this up from my Dad, who spent much of his free time working outside.

At any rate, I spent the latter part of Friday morning mowing the church lawn, then came home for a quick bite of lunch, and was back out in my own yard mowing. Mandi and I squeezed in a workout, then we were off to meet some friends for dinner at Grisanti's. After tricking Mandi into thinking we were going to eat there in order to pull off her surprise birthday party, she couldn't get the thought of yummy Italian food off her mind. We had a fantastic dinner, then we all met back at our house for a fun evening of games and laughs. We had a great time, and I couldn't have asked for a more fitting end to such a great vacation. I consider myself a lucky man to be surrounded by the kind of friends and family that make my life so great.

No comments: