Sunday, July 8, 2007

Vacation: Day Five

July 4th. My favorite holiday of the year, hands down. At no other time can a person hold a beer in one hand, and an explosive in the other, and get away with it. It is a glorious holiday, and this years' celebration did not disappoint.

It took some effort to finally drag our butts out of bed after the previous night's activities, but once we did, we were off and running. We had breakfast, then headed out to get some fireworks for the kids. We visited a stand which was run by the cheerleaders from Northeast High School in Lincoln, as one of our dear friends' daughter is a cheerleader. They were raising money for their group, and we felt it only necessary to show our support.

We headed home for lunch, naps, and a quick workout, then we were off to Mandi's folks' place to celebrate with the family. I was originally to have helped with a fireworks show in Springfield, NE., but through a series of miscommunications, I ended up relaxing with Mandi and the rest of the family all evening. I have always shot a show on the 4th in some capacity, which means taking time to organize and prepare. I must admit, as much as I missed not doing the usual show, it was wonderful to relax and not have that worry. After Mandi's birthday cake and gifts, we all drove the five minutes into Hickman for their show. It was spectacular, and a perfect end to a fantastic day.

Warm weather. Brewsky. Fireworks. Good friends and family. BBQ. Did I mention how much I love this time of year??

No comments: