Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Training: Evolution

It has taken me awhile to find the courage to write this particular post, mostly because I have spent the last couple of weeks wrestling with disappointment and frustration. If you weren't already aware, I injured my Achilles tendon during a training run several days ago and have worked diligently to condition it back to the point of being able to handle long runs, and ultimately, the marathon. Both my physical therapist and I thought we were making good progress with the aggressive treatment, but I attempted another long run about a week after the original injury, and only made it about five miles before having to walk again. To make a long story short, I never had another opportunity to get a long run in again before needing to wind down for the marathon, which is this Sunday. It became painfully evident that this particular marathon was not in my future, so I made the difficult decision of bowing out.

As mentioned, the entire chain of events is disappointing as the ultimate goal will not be reached. At least not this time. At first, I stewed and fretted, fretted and stewed over all of the hard work I had put in that was now being flushed down the toilet. Weeks and weeks of running in the bitter cold, snow, wind, and rain just to make sure all of the training miles were achieved. And nothing to show for it. But, once I pulled my head out of my you-know-what, I began to realize just how much I can take away from this entire experience. Here's just the beginning of the list:

  • I have kick-started my weight-loss once again, and am down nearly twenty pounds since beginning the training in January. I will see to it that this continues, which will only help my efforts should I decide to run a marathon again.
  • I have physically done more than I ever thought possible.
  • I have discovered how much the physical body, when pushed, will succumb to the brains mental toughness.
  • While it might sound cheesy, I have learned that I can do whatever I want if only I will give myself the proper chance and effort.

What I am most proud of, though, is the inspiration I have provided to others through my efforts. Two of my coworkers followed my lead and began training several weeks ago to run the half-marathon. And, when my brother learned that I had made the decision to tackle the marathon, he chose to train and run with me. While I am saddened that we will not be running together on Sunday, I am incredibly proud of him and I will be at the starting line to cheer him on, and at the finish line to welcome him home.

As you can see, I have chosen to focus on what I have taken from this experience instead of what I haven't. I am a better person for it, I believe, and I will continue to push forward and consider another marathon in the future. Thanks to all who have supported me with their words, thoughts, and prayers! I know I wouldn't have made it as far as I did without you. And finally, to my dear brother Chris: Godspeed on your journey in a few days! I love you, and can't wait to watch you cross the finish line!!

No comments: