Thursday, April 9, 2009

Training: Hope

There is hope for my chances of running the marathon, and thankfully, lots of it. As mentioned in my last post, I headed to the doctor on Tuesday afternoon for an assessment of my injured Achilles tendon. By the time I got there, I wasn't so much worried about the pain, as there was just a lingering dull ache. Nothing excruciating. However, there was definitely an odd feeling to the tendon as it sort of felt like bubble wrap underneath my skin when I flexed it. I know, a terrible description, but I'm not entirely sure how else to describe it.

The doctor said I had definitely tweaked it, and the weird feeling was from fluid buildup around the tendon. He told me I needed to back off the miles I was running, to which I argued that I was training for the marathon and couldn't much afford to back off. And then the doctor pretty much put the fear of God into me by telling me what I had to look forward to should I rupture the tendon by pushing too hard. Surgery, rehab, and out for six-to-twelve months. And even that would not guarantee I would get the tendon back to it's original strength. Okay, backing off.

I was prescribed some anti-inflammatory pills and a couple of weeks of aggressive physical therapy, meaning the doctor wasn't completely ruling out the possibility of still running the marathon. I had my first round of therapy this morning, and am very much encouraged by the prognosis. The therapist indicated he thought I would be able to go through with it, as long as the tendon responds well. He wants to see me again tomorrow morning, and then on Monday and Wednesday of next week. While I do have to back off the mileage, he thought I should be able to get back to a long run my mid-week next week. Again, all of this assuming that I respond well to the therapy.

So, I'm keeping my hopes up and my fingers crossed, and continuing to pray about it all. While I will have to do some reconfiguring of my training schedule, I really think I'll be able to get back to proper shape before the marathon, and can be successful at it. To all of you who have supported, encouraged, prayed for, and sent positive thoughts my way - THANK YOU!! It has meant so much to me, and has helped me to keep my head up and continue to press forward. I know I would not be where I am in the training without your help. I will continue to keep you updated as to how things progress from here.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Kev (aka Mista Sista),

As with anything worthwhile, you will have your ups and downs. Just listen to your body and do what you know is right so you can finish this current race with many more to come. Don't be discouraged. See this as an opportunity to focus on another aspect of the race - the mental picture. Because when you pass that 12th mile mark the next time, you'll remember the strength you had to rely on to get back there and keep going. You can do this!