Thursday, January 11, 2007

Melts in your mouth, not in your....nose?

Humor has always been the absolute best medicine for me, and I believe, quite frankly, it is the wonder-drug. When I'm feeling down, a good comedy movie or sitcom will typically pick me back up, and there's nothing like a classic stand-up routine to make the laughter tears start rolling. Even more gratifying is the sights and sounds of folks laughing after something I've said or done. It seems only fitting, then, that the initial post on this journey into the study of life might be a story of humor.
It all happened last Monday evening while we were wrapping up another round of potty-training with our two-year-old. Madilyn is rewarded for "going" on the toilet with a few mini M&M's, and this evening was no different. After all of the accolades and applause, I happily provided her with her ultimate chocolaty bliss. Now, I must mention that she has suffered from a cold for the past several days, and her nose has been running non-stop. Why must I mention this fact? Because shortly after giving her the M&M's, she came around the corner and had what appeared to be some red dye underneath her nose, right above her lip. My wife immediately and frantically questioned whether Madilyn had placed a red M&M in her nose, to which I surmised she had probably merely wiped her nose with her finger, thereby smearing the melted red dye from her hand onto her upper lip. In an effort to comfort my wife and allay her fears, I marched Madilyn into the bathroom to blow her nose just to make sure a little red M&M had not found a new home in her nose. After placing the Kleenex squarley in place, I instructed Madilyn to blow as hard as she could so as to extract any foreign objects. What happened next is not for the faint of heart, I warn you. As she took a deep breath and exhaled, I heard a rather interesting "thunk" as whatever was in her nasal passages landed safely in the Kleenex. I opened the Kleenex only to find a warm mass of gooey, chocolatey, slimy, mucousy red mess. It was all I could do to maintain my composure long enough to make Madilyn understand this was a serious situation, and that noses are not meant to house M&M's. Honestly, I think the point was lost as Mandi, Kaedyn, and I stood there laughing. For the record, even two hours after the dramatic M&M recovery operation, Madilyn's nose was still coated on the inside with red dye. Another fantastic story to add to Madilyn's baby book, and another dose of high-quality parental medication in the form of humor.
I would love to hear some of the most humorous events or stories of your life, if you would care to share. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Laura aka the Bead -a- holic said...

that is so funny Hee Hee

I have a blog spot I have had for a few years.

http://lwhatisupwithlaurajean.blogspot.com/

Laura :)

Ps you need a Myspace I love my page there :)

Jeff said...

When I was a little older than Madilyn, before the days of mini m&m's, I lodged a green m&m up my nose. My mom found me trying to get my finger up my nose and around the m&m to pull it out - of course unsuccesfully. She too threw a tissue at me and yelled, "blow!" I did and the m&m (before melting) shot out of my nose, through the tissue, and across the kitchen. Ah, memories!

Heather said...

Kev~ That is too funny! I have to say that it made my evening! It reminds me of the time my cousin Stephanie put foam rubber pieces up her nose and no one knew until it started to smell bad. That is still a good story in our family! BTW, I love your family picture. Your children are all so adorable!
Heather