Monday, January 29, 2007

Analytical Minds and Diets

Anyone who knows me even a little knows how much I analyze, analyze, and analyze. I don't typically take things at face-value, which can lead to some pretty in-depth discussions and fact-finding missions. I've been known to drive more than a few people crazy because I'm horrible at making decisions. I just keep analyzing until I've either driven myself nuts, or actually made an incredibly insightful and informed decision. This all well and good, until I come across some decision that just shouldn't need a bunch of analyzing, like whether to use grape jelly or strawberry jelly on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Most people's response might go something like this: "Well, I had strawberry last time so I'll go with grape today." My response: "Well, let's see. I had strawberry last week, but we might have grape with our kids tomorrow, so maybe I should have strawberry again today. But, strawberry doesn't spread quite as well. But grape is a bit messier. But strawberry has more sugar in it." And on, and on, and on. We are all familiar with those forwarded emails claiming some sort of ridiculous facts and/or figures, right? Well, rather than stopping at just enough research to prove they are false, I continue on to prove what might be the correct statement(s) in said emails.
So where am I going with all of this, anyway? Well, I have tried what seems like about a million different diets, some of which claim to be the latest miracle in weight-loss, some of which are tried and true, and some of which are just plain old-fashioned. Only one of them worked for me, but once I strayed from the plan, it was all over, and I've put a lot of the weight back on. I have often tried new and inventive ways of thinking about losing weight, but have never come up with anything worth a darn. While searching for some sort of motivation, I came across some wonderful inspiration from an old college friend, who wrote on his blog about his idea of Christmas resolutions rather than New Year's resolutions. The thought of responding to God's gift with my own healthier resolution is a fantastic and original idea, and really motivated me to find something that would work for me, that would feed my analytical personality, and that might be a long-term solution. (You can check out Jeff's blog here, and I highly recommend it. He's got some really neat, inspirational, and insightful dialogue.)
Ladies and Gents, kids of all ages, I have done it! I have found exactly the diet I needed to satisfy all of my crazy personality quirks, and believe it or not, it's actually working!!!! The book is called You On A Diet, The Owner's Manual for Waist Management. The authors and brains behind the book are Michael Roizen, M.D., and Mehmet Oz, M.D. It is a complete guide to changing your lifestyle and understanding of healthy eating and living. The best part? They spend about a hundred pages analyzing how food is broken down in the body, how the digestive system works, and why some foods are good and most of our food staples are horrible. I wanted to know why some diets work and some don't, and why some foods are good for me and some aren't, and now I understand it. It is by far the best diet I have ever come across, and I am following it very strictly. Thus far, I am down 15 pounds and have shed 2 inches off my waist, and I feel great! I can't say enough about this book, and I promise you will find something inside its pages that will shock you. I am so inspired by this book, that I am considering posting a weekly newsletter of sorts, that will include some sort of healthy living facts and/or recommendations.
I have always said that finding a diet which fits one's personality is a huge key to its success. If the dieter isn't doing something that he/she is comfortable and happy with, they won't stick with it. I have found my dieting niche, and I urge those of you who are battling the bulge, or just trying to live healthier, to keep searching until you find something you are comfortable and happy with. And, check out this book/website - it may not be for you, but you'll surely learn something new and exciting!

No comments: