Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Training: Week #3 Recap

My third week of training was, in a word, ugly. And in two words, it was real ugly. After so much success in the second week, I was quite frustrated at the end of last week. It all began shortly after the six-mile run to cap the second week, which went so well. I was preparing to feed the dogs and had to bend kind of awkwardly in order to reach more dog food, and as I did so my back tweaked just right and about dropped me to my knees. Yeah, it hurt. Unfortunately, said tweak left its mark and caused me lots of annoying pain through the week, which in turn made running much more of a chore than it should have been. I tried to press through, and did, but it was sloppy and I never quite felt in sync while running. To say the three and four mile runs on Tuesday and Wednesday were a struggle would be an understatement. It just seemed as though my body was rebelling, as the aches and pains were quite prevalent.

Friday's three mile run was much better, though, and one of the fastest runs I've had since beginning the training. That was encouraging and I felt as though the seven-mile run on Sunday would be just fine. And it probably would have been, except that Mother Nature decided to drop a very nice little mixture of snow and ice on the ground. Just to spite me, I'm sure of it. At any rate, the run was another ugly one, as I spent most of it trying to avoid injury and slipping and sliding my way through the route. Bless my dear wife, who is ever the positive one, as she looked me in the eye when I got home and said, "But you made it, right?" Yes, yes I did make it. Still, I couldn't help but think about how tough the third week was, and I even began to wonder if this marathon idea was really a smart one.

But, I've said it before and I'll say it again: this training is every bit mental as it is physical. Period. I could simply give up, or I could rise to the extra challenge and press forward. Remember the Shield of Faith I spoke about in my last blog? I picked it up, read the verse, and vowed to myself never to give up. First, I've already come to far to stop now. Second, God and my family are with me. And third, I've already paid the registration fee and I'll be damned if I let that go to waste!

After Sunday's run, I had 48 miles of training logged. I ran my three mile route today and am already feeling much better about this week. A bit of a change this week, too, as the four-mile run changes to five miles, and the long run of the week is eight miles. At weeks' end, I'll have 67 miles of training logged. Woah. Crazy. I love it! I'm a marathoner, and here I come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great write up Kev!

At the office, I was working with a book buyer in Boston and our trip from 2000 came up in the conversation. I told him how we had bikes with us, and that bitch of hill we had to climb every night to get back to our hotel. He was asking about where this was, and he said "from what you describe, that is 'heart break hill.'" Famously known as the ultimate obsticle for people that run the Boston Marathon. Thought you mind find that interesting, I had no idea we were climbing something that famous. :-)
Later,
KJ