Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's A Boy!

We'll call it 11:36 a.m. officially. That was about the time yesterday's adoption hearing ended, and about the time Kaedyn became a Campbell and is from this day forward, legally considered my son. While the relationship between he and I has not, nor will not change, it is incredibly satisfying to now have all of the legal rights as a father. I no longer have to concern myself with the legal ramifications of trying to protect Kaedyn from his biological father. No more worries of being in contempt by not allowing court-ordered visitations. No more worries about who has what rights, legally and/or morally. It's very refreshing, and a wonderful feeling, and thanks to all of you who offered words of support and encouragement.

As far as the hearing itself, it was much easier and much quicker than we had anticipated. Per our attorney, we expected a line of questioning from the judge pertaining to the parental responsibility Andy (Kaedyn's bio-father) had displayed in recent months. Instead, he simply asked Kaedyn a few "small-talk" questions as he signed the papers, and that was that. Our attorney said nary a word, besides to thank the judge when the hearing ended. It all happened so quick, we found ourselves a bit dazed. Oh, and in case you hadn't figured it out, Andy did not appear yesterday. Which begs the question of whether or not he even knew the hearing was taking place. Doesn't matter now, I guess.

I'm certainly not ignorant enough to think we'll never have to deal with him again, as I'm sure the time will come when Andy will call or stop by with a desire to see Kaedyn. And, I'm certain there will come a time in the future, near or distant, when Kaedyn will express a desire to see Andy. Therein lies the challenge; we will go forward from here, but very carefully so as to remain open, understanding, and sensitive to Kaedyn's feelings about and toward Andy.

But for now, Kaedyn is legally my son as of 11:36 a.m. yesterday, which means I need to give that guy at the tobacco shop a call - going to need a box of "It's a Boy!" cigars!!

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Kevin, Kaedyn has been your son for as long as I've known you. I still imagine that this all feels pretty great - congratulations to you and the family!

Anonymous said...

Kevin, I am so happy for you and your family. I will repeat what Jeff said in that I have never thought of Kaedyn as not being yours. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.