Thursday, November 1, 2007

Longhorns 28, Huskers 25

This last week in Husker Nation has been yet another adventurous one, and it all began in Austin, Texas last Saturday. With a sure-fire pasting in order, Nebraska gave its faithful fans a glimmer of hope that all is not completely gone in this season of utter disappointment. For three glorious and wonderful quarters, the Huskers played inspired, sound, and winning football. The running game was working, the passing game was working, and Nebraska took a two-touchdown lead into what turned out to be a heart-breaking fourth quarter. Then it all went down the drain in a heart-breaking loss. Starting quarterback Sam Keller was knocked out for the season. Texas running back Jamaal Charles smoked the Blackshirts for 216 yards and three touchdowns (yes, in just the final fifteen minutes). The Longhorns prevailed in a 28-25 win over the Huskers. But that's a far cry from the three-touchdown win that most of the college football world expected out of Texas.

And so we move on to this Saturday, and a date with the Jayhawks of Kansas. There was a time not so long ago when the Huskers' annual meeting with the boys from Lawrence was a gimme. A sure "w" on the schedule, and a game that for all intents and purposes, the Huskers could look past. My, how times have changed. The 2007 Kansas Jayhawks are flying high at 8-0 and ranked about ninth in the country, and have no intentions of letting the struggling Huskers come into Lawrence and ruin their perfect season. Their defense has been stellar, and their offense not so bad, either. They are having the season of their lives.

Well, good for them. I'm really happy for them, and excited for their success. Head coach Mark Mangino has turned that program around, and has a good thing going. But it's time for a Big Red spoiler. Husker backup QB Joey Ganz is set to take the helm on Saturday, and I am one fan who thinks Ganz is better then Keller ever was. Ganz has the ability to pass, but he also has the ever-important ability to scramble, which is something Keller could not boast. I am excited for this Saturday, more excited for the Big Red to take the field than I have been in several weeks. I think the combination of confidence coming off of a pretty good performance in Texas, and a new quarterback whose team has rallied around him, will provide just the spark to get these Huskers going for the last few weeks. I smell an upset in the making, folks. Maybe I'm just starving for a win, but I think the Huskers get it done this week. Huskers 34, Jayhawks 25.

GO BIG RED!!!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Kevin, I have really enjoyed reading your Husker musings this season, but am afraid I can't take this one seriously...

The 8-0 Hawks are now ranked 8th in most every poll and after their victory at Texas A&M last week I don't think there is anyway they're going to let the Huskers come to town and spoil what they've got going on this season. They've shown this season that they've got the heart to make it happen and I think their defense will do that, regardless of how well Ganz plays.

Additionally, reps from many of the BCS bowls will be in memorial stadium on Saturday and the Hawks know it. They will show up to play.

I won't throw out numbers, but my prediction is simple - Hawks win!

I love you man, but I fear (and hope) that you're way off base this week.