Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Jayhawks 76, Huskers 39

Would you look at that? It's already Wednesday, and I haven't said a word about the Huskers since posting a prediction last Thursday. That's because I haven't been able to use my hands in order to write anything. You see, I just finished gathering my jaw off the ground after whatever the hell that was in Lawrence, Kansas last Saturday. To be sure, my fingers are still moving at a snail's pace as I type this, because frankly, I'm quite speechless. I continue to read articles and hear comments about how the mighty Husker ship is sinking, and sinking fast. Dare I declare, after Saturday's debacle, this ship has done sunk. It has hit rock bottom and all of its treasure of quality football is buried somewhere deep within its belly.

At least part of my prediction was true; first-time starter Joe Ganz came out firing on all cylinders, and the offense played their hearts out for him. Ganz was on fire as he threw for over 400 yards, and sliced and diced the coveted Jayhawk defense. The Huskers offense put up 39 points in the game, and 39 points will typically win you a football game. Not on this day, however. Kansas ran through the Husker's defense like they were some Pop-Warner unit in their first big game. It was ugly, and it could have easily been worse. Kansas coach Mark Mangino was merciful near the end, as he could have hung a hundred on a Big Red defense that was powerless to stop him and is offensive unit. (Jeff, if you're reading this, thanks for your retort to my prediction last week. You were right - the Jayhawks came to play despite Ganz's success. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Kansas win, but I'll admit my shock at what actually transpired.)

Rumors of a coaching change in one form or another have been far and wide in Husker Nation over the course of the last few days. So far, nothing has been said other than Bill Callahan's resolve to stay put. Interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne has also stayed firm to his original word of waiting until the end of the season to evaluate the coaching staff. My guess is Callahan won't be around much longer after the final gun sounds in Colorado on the day after Thanksgiving. He just isn't the right fit for this program, though I give him credit for trying. Honestly, I feel sorry for him. Nebraska is not a warm environment for a coach who posts the kinds of records most fans would just as soon forget. Most losses, most points allowed, greatest margin of victory (for the opposition), etc.

As for this Saturday, well, it's the final home game of the season and thus, "Senior Day." As a fan, I still have hope that these Huskers can find a way to win despite the adversity. It appears Callahan has lost this team, so if they won't play for him, I can only hope they will play for themselves and for the 29 seniors who will bid the program farewell. It's been rough for them, and certainly not the memorable experience they probably expected as freshmen. Kansas State will be here on Saturday, and you can bet they'll be licking their chops to be the next team to pound the Huskers. Despite everything, the Huskers still have something to play for, believe it or not. They still need two wins to become bowl-eligible, and they have exactly two more chances to accomplish that task. They might just find enough motivation this week to rise to the occasion. Huskers 38, Wildcats 31.

I gotta believe.

GO BIG RED!!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Kevin, before the game I predicted that the Hawks would win by 10. I thought it was going to be a much closer game than it was - and who would have thought that they'd score 76 on the Huskers.

It is a fun time to be a Jayhawk!