Thursday, October 18, 2007

Have I Lost My Mind?

It's been quite some time since I posted anything about my continuing efforts in the healthy living arena. I haven't really lost a bunch more since I finally hit the 100-pound mark, though the weight continues to trickle off a little at a time. I'm not so much obsessed with the scale as I once was, opting for just a weekly weight check as opposed to the daily infatuations to which I had become accustomed. I'm not as concerned about losing the weight as long as I continue to eat properly and exercise daily. I'm confident it will continue to come drop off.

You may remember my discussion a few weeks ago about Cesar Millan and his book, Cesar's Way, and my goal of whipping our female pooch, Xena, into shape. That process has gone very well, as we continue to walk/run each night after I get home from work. Xena, as of today, has lost half a pound. That may not seem like much, but to a 12-pound ankle-biter, that's a bunch! She's looking great and obviously feeling much better, as she has a little bit more pep in her step.

So how is all of this related? Well, I have found myself pushing harder and harder each night when the dogs and I go out for our exercise, and am getting closer to being able to run the entire distance, which is about three miles. I'm not setting any land-speed records, but being able to run a long distance is something I never dreamed would happen. I'm just not much of a runner, and never have been really interested in it. Until now. I have found that I thoroughly enjoy running, for the most part, and have decided it would be quite a thrill to be able to someday run a marathon. Yes, I said it - RUN A MARATHON!

Now, I realize I have a very long way to go before I'm in any shape to accomplish such a feat, but I've decided to make a run at it, no pun intended. I checked out the Lincoln Marathon's website this morning, and I think it possible to shoot for running the May, 2009 race. I'm going to consult with a few friends who are experienced runners, and begin seriously training with that date in mind! As I said, I have a long way to go, but what an accomplishment when I get there. Wish me luck, and for those of you who are reading this and have run marathons in the past, or are regular runners and can offer tips and advice, I welcome any suggestions with open arms.

And who knows? Maybe Xena will join me in 2009. Do they allow dogs to enter marathons?

No comments: