Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ode to Kt

The past couple of years have given us lots to grumble about when the time comes to park next to the gas pumps and fill our tanks. The digital numbers on the pump after I satisfy my Bronco's thirst usually read right around $80.00. Ugh. That's a quite a kick in the gut. Fortunately, though, I have found a way to smile in the faces of the oil companies and their high rates. My bicycle has become the preferred method of transportation, especially en route to work and back, and it has been good for me in several ways. My marriage is strengthened because when my wife does the bills at the end of the month, she sees how very little I have contributed to the depletion of the fuel budget. That's a very good thing. And although it's probably very little in the grand scheme of things, I would like to think I'm helping the environmental cause, right? Oh, and my health is certainly thankful for the added boost of cardiovascular work. Seven miles round trip isn't far, but in the heat of a Nebraska August, it's no small task.

The best part about my bike rides, though, is the few minutes of reflection I get nearly everyday. The ride gives me time to think about life, to be by myself, and enjoy the company of, well, me. Such was the case a few days ago as I pedalled my way to work on a sultry summer afternoon. My thoughts on that day, for reasons unbeknownst to me, led me to a comment I remember someone making upon hearing about the passing of my Dad. I believe it was a gal who worked with my Dad, if memory serves me correctly. She said something to the effect of, "there are some folks in this life whom you meet and no matter how little time you may spend with them, you are a better person for having met them. Terry (my Dad) was one of those people." This comment has always stuck with me, because I think the person who said it was wise beyond her years. I have found this comment to be incredibly true, and I consider myself fortunate to know a few people who have made me a better person for knowing them.

One such person goes by the name of Katie, and I will reserve her last name since she doesn't even know I'm writing about her. Katie, or Kt as I usually call her when we chat via email, is one of my dearest friends from my days as a student at Wesleyan. She did more for my education and learning experience than anyone I can remember, and continues to influence and challenge me in all sorts of ways just by the type of person and friend she continues to be, and the paths she chooses to travel in her life. She leads simply by example, and she sets one heck of a fine example to follow.

As I made my way through the UNL campus that day, I began to ponder the sad fact that it has been far too long since I last spoke with Kt. Suddenly, I found myself being yanked out of the deep crevices of my own mind by the familiar and exciting sound of the Cornhusker Marching Band wrapping up its practice within the confines of Memorial Stadium. I can only assume they were putting the finishing touches on their half-time show in preparation for the first Husker football game this Saturday, and I quickly felt the goosebumps grow and the hair stand up on the back of my neck as brief flashes of game day sights and sounds interrupted my ride/soul-searching session. As I glanced toward the front of the stadium, the corner of my vision just caught the tall Roman columns which grace the facade of the NU Coliseum, home of the Husker Volleyball team. And then it all came together.

You see, Kt has fought for years to get me to understand there is more to life than Husker football. She has partially failed in that arena, but she has at least succeeded in helping me realize there is more to cheer for than just football. Nearly each time I begin a tirade on the football team, good or bad, Kt asks in some form or another, "so, Kev, how's the volleyball team doing?" Up until last season, I could only attempt an uninformed guess. To be sure, I have followed the lady Huskers a bit more closely, and this season I have not allowed my excitement for the impending football season to overcast the doings of the volleyball team.

So Kt, if you're reading and haven't been able to follow the season so far, here's the scoop -

The Huskers began the year preseason ranked #1 in the AVCA (which stands for American Volleyball Coaches Association - see, I can be taught.) poll. Their first contest came in the AVCA Showcase tournament, hosted by the Qwest Center in Omaha. The lady Huskers blasted unranked Tennessee 3-0 on Friday night, which put them in the championship match against #5 UCLA on Saturday. The 'Skers brought the Showcase trophy back to Lincoln by beating the Bruins 3-1. They are off to a 2-0 start and will look to keep it going this Friday evening when Creighton comes calling to the Coliseum for the home opener. I will keep you posted, and GO BIG RED!!!!

Love ya, Kt!

Now, are you ready for some football?????????????

No comments: