Thursday, November 6, 2008

Jinx?

It was nearly twenty years ago that my brother and I set out from Lincoln to Ames, Iowa, to see Metallica in concert. With tickets in hand, we began our northeasterly trek with no clue as to what would be our fate. All we knew is that we had Metallica tickets, we'd never seen Metallica before, and we were going to have one hell of a good time! As we approached Des Moines, about halfway to our ultimate destination, our spirits were dashed. My truck began making funny noises and losing power, and the engine finally blew. There we were, on the side of the road, with no prayer of seeing Metallica that evening. I ended up footing a $150 bill to get a tow back home, and have been waiting ever since for a chance to see Metallica again.

Tonight is the night, and I hope I haven't jinxed myself. For the concert is in Omaha, another northeasterly trek, though not nearly as far. I'm pretty sure....nevermind, I'm damn sure if things go awry on the automotive front this evening, I will hitchhike my way to Omaha. I'm NOT missing this concert, I promise! I still have my ticket to that show lo so many years ago, and I had thought about digging it out today just for nostalgics sake. But I've decided to forgo nostalgia. I'm letting the past go, because tonight's concert is all about making up for lost time. Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight is Metallica or bust! Rock on!!

No comments: