Saturday, October 18, 2008

Closure on "Spitgate"

As I anxiously await today's kickoff between the Huskers and Iowa State, I have found myself with a few extra minutes to kill before the crowd convenes on my abode to chant multiple GO BIG REDs. With that, I thought I'd write some words on a subject which has bothered me for a couple of weeks. If you are a regular reader of my thoughts via this blog, you know I'm just a bit passionate about Husker football. You also know that the Missouri Tigers were in town a couple weeks ago, and had their way with Nebraska, which was really no surprise. Because it was no surprise, and because Nebraska is a program that is using this year to re-establish itself, I'm okay with the 52-17 crushing which the Huskers endured on that fateful Saturday. Really. I'm okay with it - sure, it stung a bit, but I was prepared for that possibility.

What came out of all of the carnage was a little sidebar story, if you will, which local sportswriters termed "spitgate." My understanding is that "spitgate" was all over ESPN News and online, though I didn't care to verify by searching much for the story. In a nutshell, Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel accused Nebraska of playing dirty football, even going so far as to call Nebraska one of the dirtiest teams he's ever played. He also accused one of the Husker players of spitting on him when the Tigers took the field. He didn't name names, but said the player knew who he was, and that the incident was "bush league." Both head coaches, according to the Lincoln paper the following Monday, talked about it and were satisfied that the incident was over. Nothing was confirmed, however, and nothing else was said, at least not to the public. Behind closed doors? Well, who knows?

I've always carried great pride in our program as it has built itself on character, respect for other teams, and a hard work ethic. I'm not stupid - I know the program, and specifically some of its players, have made mistakes in the past. Big mistakes. I know it's not a perfect program, but I believe the Nebraska football program is something of which its fans can be very proud. So to hear an opposing team member make such accusations? Well, that hurts worse than losing to that team by several touchdowns, as we did. As I pondered this charge by Daniel, I began to wonder just how much truth was really in his statement. He had no real reason to lie, because he kicked the crap out of Nebraska. Had he lost, or had his Heisman campaign been derailed because our team forced him to make mistakes, he might have said such a thing out of anger. But that wasn't the case. Still, how much of this kind of thing takes place on a regular basis when opposing teams, with a ton of pride in their program, meet? Was it really an isolated incident, as Daniel seems to want us to believe, or is this kind of thing just normal?

I don't know, but a local sportswriter wrote some words which really put this whole thing in perspective, at least for me. I've quoted Steven Sipple below, and then I'm done with "spitgate."

"Pelini (Nebraska's head coach) was honest and straightforward Tuesday, as always. He called Daniel's allegation "unfortunate" while reminding that there are two sides to every story.

"By no means am I calling Chase Daniel a liar," Pelini said, essentially leaving open the possibility.

This much is certain: Daniel comes off looking petty. Like a tattletale on a grade-school playground. If you're going to make such a harsh accusation, provide the name and number. Otherwise, bite your tongue and board the bus.

Whatever the truth, Pelini made it clear to his team that the alleged behavior would be forever unacceptable in his program.

The whole thing's a little ridiculous. Daniel said Nebraska was a dirty team after he was hit hard only a handful of times? C'mon, Chase.

"...bite your tongue and board the bus." That's what I'm talking about. Well said, Mr. Sipple. Thanks for the closure.

GO BIG RED!!

No comments: